The history of St Luke’s Greytown

The first St Luke’s Church in Greytown built on this site in 1869 and was consecrated by Bishop Octavius Hadfield in 1876.

Built of heart totara, it was a beautiful building which proudly stood aside the historic gum tree until January 1968 when it was burned to the ground by an arsonist. Firemen reported seeing flames roaring up the aisle where an accelerant had been poured.

Parishioners were in shock at the loss of their wooden church, with its tall, majestic bell tower, detailed interior woodwork, carved rafters and stained glass windows. The vicar, Rev Pat Gourdie immediately made plans for services to continue in the church hall. The determined congregation set about planning the re-building of their church. It was constructed by Greytown builder Ken Trotman, dedicated in 1971 and consecrated, debt-free on 6 May 1979 by the Bishop of Wellington, The Right Reverend E. K. Norman.

 

 

St Luke's Church, circa 1900

St Luke's Church, 1928

St Luke's Church, 1971 (newly built)

St Luke's Fire, January 1968

St Luke's Church after the fire 1968

St Luke's Church, Present day

1904

1910 - St Luke's people on a Sunday School picnic at Tauherenikau.

The consecration of St Luke's second church 6 May 1979.

Gum sketch by Peter Scarfe.

Sketch 1988

Copyright 2016 St Luke's Church, Greytown, New Zealand

Address

St Luke's Anglican Church, PO Box 133,
Corner of Church and Main Street ,

Greytown 5712, Wairarapa, NZ

Phone

06 304 7066 (Church Office)

06 304 7066

Like us on Facebook

f